The Town of Arlington was originally settled in 1635 as a village under the name of Menotomy. In 1807, the Town and a section of what is now Belmont were set off from Cambridge and incorporated as West Cambridge. In 1867 the name was changed to Arlington in honor of the heroes buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.
Arlington is situated six miles northwest of Boston. The town is bordered on the north by Winchester, on the east by Medford and Somerville, on the south by Cambridge and Belmont and on the west by Lexington.
Arlington covers 3,518 acres or 5.5 square miles of which 286 acres are covered by water. There are 158 acres of park land owned by the Town and 52 acres under the control of the Metropolitan District Commission.
The Town of Arlington operates an excellent school system with approximately 4,000 students enrolled in seven elementary schools, one middle school and one high school.